Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S.
If you have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, a family history of heart disease, or if you are overweight or obese, you might be at risk for cardiovascular disease. Your best chance for successful treatment is early detection.
For patients at risk of heart disease, Lenoir cardiologist Dr. Johnny R. Dy provides advanced heart screening and diagnostic services on-site at Cross River Cardiology. In addition, patients with pacemakers trust us to ensure their device is in optimal operating condition, at our on-site pacemaker clinic.
Heart Conditions We Treat
At Cross River Cardiology, we diagnose and treat many different heart and vascular conditions, including:
- Angina (chest pain or discomfort)
- Aortic aneurysm (swelling of a weakened wall in the aorta, the largest artery in your body)
- Cardiac arrhythmia (rhythm disturbances of the heart)
- Cardiomyopathy (weakened heart muscles)
- Carotid artery disease (clogging of the arteries that carry blood to the head and brain)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF) (when the heart cannot adequately pump blood)
- Coronary artery disease (CAD) (clogging of the arteries that carry blood to the heart)
- Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) (blood clot in the leg veins)
- Dyslipidemia (cholesterol and triglyceride problems)
- Endocarditis (infection of the heart valves)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) (disorder in which the mitral valve does not open and close properly)
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Pericarditis (inflammation of the heart sac)
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD) (poor circulation)
- Syncope (fainting)
- Valvular heart disease (disease of the heart valves)
Risk Factors for Heart Disease
One or more of the following risk factors may contribute to the development of cardiovascular disease:
- High cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood
- High blood pressure
- Excess weight and obesity
- Smoking and other forms of nicotine use such as e-cigarettes
- Lack of exercise
- Unhealthy diet
- Family history of heart disease
- Increasing age
Our General Cardiology Services
Some of the most popular general cardiology services at Cross River Cardiology include:
For patients who are on blood thinners such as Coumadin (warfarin), it is important to check the medication’s effectiveness on a regular basis. We do this by conducting a prothrombin time and international normalized ratio (PT/INR) test, which only requires a finger stick for a drop of blood. Results are immediate, and Dr. Dy can make any necessary medication adjustments the same day.
Screening for heart disease is an important part of maintaining your cardiovascular health. For many patients with heart disease who do not experience symptoms, diagnosing their condition through these simple tests can be lifesaving. Some of the initial screenings we conduct at Cross River Cardiology includes:
- Measuring cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Electrocardiography (EKG)
If there is any indication you may have heart disease, Dr. Dy may recommend appropriate additional in-office diagnostic services.
We offer pacemaker and defibrillator interrogation services to ensure our patients’ pacemakers are functioning properly and that there is sufficient battery life. Our computer communicates with the pacemaker wirelessly to obtain stored data collected by your pacemaker. This data may be analyzed to evaluate and better treat potential arrhythmias, abnormal heart rhythms.
Heart Disease Treatment in Lenoir, NC
If heart disease runs in your family or you think you may be at risk for heart disease, contact Cross River Cardiology today at (828) 572-0778 or request an appointment now. We provide the best care for heart health from a private practice in Caldwell County, North Carolina.