Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S. If you have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, a family history of heart disease, or you are overweight or obese, you might be at risk for cardiovascular disease. Your best chance for successful treatment is early detection.
For patients at risk for heart disease, Lenoir cardiologist Dr. Johnny R. Dy provides heart screening and diagnostic services right on site at Cross River Cardiology. Our patients with pacemakers trust us to ensure that everything is in optimal condition at our on-site clinics.
Dr. Dy diagnoses and treats many heart and vascular conditions every day, including:
- Angina (chest pain or discomfort)
- Aortic aneurysm (swelling of a weakened wall in the aorta, the largest artery in your body)
- Cardiac arrhythmia (rhythm disturbances of the heart)
- Cardiomyopathy (weakened heart muscles)
- Carotid artery disease (clogging of the arteries that carry blood to the head and brain)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Coronary artery disease (CAD) (clogging of the arteries that carry blood to the heart)
- Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) (blood clot in the leg veins)
- Dyslipidemia (cholesterol and triglyceride problems)
- Endocarditis (infection of the heart valves)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) (disorder in which the mitral valve does not open and close properly)
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Pericarditis (inflammation of the heart sac)
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD) (poor circulation)
- Syncope (fainting)
- Valvular heart disease (diseases of the heart valves)
Screening for heart disease is an important part of maintaining your health. For the many patients with heart disease who do not experience symptoms, diagnosing their condition through these simple tests can be lifesaving. Some of the testing we provide includes:
- Measuring cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Electrocardiography (EKG)
If there is any indication that you may have heart disease, Dr. Dy recommends our in-office heart disease testing.
One or more of the following risk factors may contribute to the development of heart and vascular disease:
- High cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood
- High blood pressure
- Excess weight and obesity
- Lack of exercise
- Unhealthy diet
- Family history of heart disease (your risk is higher if members of your family have heart disease)
- Increasing age (aging causes changes in the heart and blood vessels)
We offer pacemaker and defibrillator interrogation services to ensure our patients’ pacemakers are functioning properly and that there is sufficient battery life. Our computer communicates with the pacemaker wirelessly to obtain data on its past performance, which is recorded in your health records.
For patients who are on blood thinners such as Coumadin or warfarin, it is important to check the medication’s effectiveness on a regular basis. We do this by conducting a PT/INR (Prothrombin Time and International Normalized Ratio) test, which only requires a finger stick for a drop of blood. Results are immediate, and Dr. Dy will make any necessary medication adjustments that same day.
Heart Disease Screening and Treatment in Lenoir, NC
If heart disease runs in your family or you think you may be at risk for heart disease, contact Cross River Cardiology today at (828) 572-0778 or request an appointment online. We provide the best care for heart health from a private practice in Caldwell County, North Carolina.